Sharing a Photo/Selfie to Support Medical Progress
Selfies are a common form of expression on social media. They can be funny, serious, awkward or emotional. They can also be an impactful way of participating in a cause, which is a big reason we are launching a selfies/photo submission project for the Ask Your Candidates! national voter education initiative. As part of this effort, participants are encouraged to take a photo with a sign (download here), indicating why they support medical progress, or they can create their own sign, framing the issue in a way that speaks to their own experiences or organization’s mission.
The goal is to generate buzz for the initiative and increase the volume of the conversation surrounding medical progress, hoping to inspire more Congressional candidates to email statements to Ask Your Candidates on what they will do to accelerate medical progress, if they are elected. These statements will then be archived on the Ask Your Candidates! website.
To participate, just follow these three easy steps:
- Personalize an AYC sign about why you support medical progress or create your own sign using a blank piece of paper, so that you can talk about medical progress in your own way. For example, ’I support medical progress in honor of’¦’ or ’Medical progress is important because’¦’
- Have someone photograph you with your sign, or take a ’selfie.’
- Promote your photo on social media, using the hashtag #AYCresearch.
Below are two examples of text you can use to complement your social media post, but please feel free to tailor them for your needs
- I’ve shared why I support medical progress. Ask your candidates for Congress if they care? bit.ly/1sVNA7Z #AYCresearch
- Here’s why I support medical progress. Show me why you support medical progress, too: bit.ly/1mS0pwR #AYCresearch
We can’t wait to see your photo or ’selfie.’ Remember, use the hashtag #AYCresearch so that we know that you participated, or email us your photo and we’ll be happy to share it for you.
If you need inspiration, check out some of our staff photos on Facebook. A few of them are below.