2013 National Health Research Forum
2013 National Health Research Forum
Our National Health Research Forum engages leaders in government, industry, academia, patient advocacy organizations and the media in a dialogue concerning key medical, health and scientific research issues. It is the only event of its kind that allows discussion among and interaction by the audience with the people who are at the forefront of our nation's health research.
Moderated each year by high-profile journalists, the event will include a luncheon and three panel discussions, each followed by a Q&A session.
This year’s forum is intended to set aside platitudes and take a clear-eyed look at the ways in which our nation is advancing health through research — and the ways in which we are stultifying it. We will identify actions called for to bridge the distance between the medical and health research system we have and the one needed to tackle the urgent health care issues that face our nation. We will look at the biomedical research ecosystem, and also at health research disciplines that play an instrumental role in securing efficient, effective, patient-centric health care delivery. Finally, we will discuss whether and how federal support for robust medical progress can be elevated to an immutable national priority, embedded in our culture because of its dynamic impact on Americans’ everyday lives. Is there any appetite among policy makers and their constituents to elevate research in this manner? If not, can medical and health research advocates achieve a shift in public thinking?
Clearly we will be covering some challenging topics, and we look forward to your input.
This year's confirmed panelists include:
- Francis Collins, MD, PhD, Director, NIH
- Thomas Frieden, MD, MPH, Director, CDC
- Margaret Hamburg, MD, Commissioner, FDA
- Patrick Conway, MD, Chief Medical Officer, CMS; Director, Center for Clinical Standards and Quality; and Acting Director, Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation
- Tony Coles, MD, Chairman and CEO, Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- John Crowley, JD, MBA, President and CEO, Amicus Therapeutics and Patient Advocate
- Victor Dzau, MD, President and CEO, Duke University Health System and Chancellor for Health Affairs, Duke University
- Jay Gershen, DDS, PhD, President, Northeast Ohio Medical University
- William Hait, MD, PhD, Global Head R&D, Janssen
- Robert Hariri, MD, PhD, CEO, Celgene Cellular Therapeutics
- Debra Lappin, JD, Principal, FaegreBD Consulting and Patient Advocate
- Foti Panagakos, DMD, PhD, Global Director, Scientific Affairs, Colgate-Palmolive Company
- Bart Peterson, JD, Senior Vice President, Corporate Affairs and Communications, Eli Lilly and Company
- E. Albert Reece, MD, PhD, MBA, Dean, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Lisa Simpson, MB, BCh, MPH, President and CEO, AcademyHealth
- Norm Ornstein, PhD, Resident Scholar, American Enterprise Institute and Contributing Editor for National Journal and The Atlantic
- Eleanor Clift, Contributing Editor for Newsweek and contributor to The Daily Beast
- Michelle Miller, CBS News correspondent
Join us as we convene this distinguished group of panelists to share their insights on topics of concern to us all.
The event is complimentary for Research!America members and $125 for general admission.
2013 National Health Research Forum: Straight Talk about the Future of Health Research
September 12, 2013
11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Newseum Knight Conference Center
555 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W
The National Health Research Forum will be live-streamed by WebMD .
To learn more about the National Health Research Forum, click here.
We thank our sponsors:
Lilly, Celgene, Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Colgate-Palmolive, Johnson & Johnson, The Hill, Politico, American Medical Association, Genentech, Northeast Ohio Medical University, Duke University Health System, and University of Maryland School of Medicine.