Garfield Award Archive
Established in 2002, this annual award recognizes outstanding research demonstrating the economic impact of medical and health research, including research-based innovations in prevention, disease treatment, and health care delivery.
Founding support for the Garfield Award was provided by the Eugene Garfield Foundation. A grant from Merck & Co., Inc. in 2010 supports the Garfield Award and the tradition of extending an honorarium of $10,000 for the winning publication.
According to former U.S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop, MD, ScD, Garfield Award winners "clearly and unequivocally illustrate that research for health is worth the cost."
For more information, contact Ellie Dehoney, Vice President, Policy and Advocacy, at 571.482.2717 or at firstname.lastname@example.org (link sends e-mail).
Past Award Winners:
- 2012 - Amalia R. Miller, PhD, and Catherine E. Tucker, PhD
- 2011 - Douglas Almond, PhD; Joseph J. Doyle, Jr., PhD; Amanda E. Kowalski, PhD; and Heidi Williams, PhD
- 2010 - Frank R. Lichtenberg, PhD
- 2009 - Darius N. Lakdawalla, PhD; Dana Goldman, PhD; Pierre-Carl Michaud, PhD; Neeraj Sood, PhD; Robert Lempert, PhD; Ze Cong; Han de Vries; and Italo Gutierrez
- 2008 - Amitabh Chandra, PhD and Douglas O. Staiger, PhD
- 2007 - Tomas J. Philipson, PhD and Anupam B. Jena, PhD
- 2006 - Amy Finkelstein, PhD, MPhil
- 2005 - Kevin M. Murphy, PhD and Robert H. Topel, PhD
- 2004 - Sherry A.M. Glied, PhD
- 2003 - David Cutler, PhD
- 2002 - David Meltzer, MD, PhD