Straight Talk: Securing a Science-Strong Future
Join Research!America for the 2020 Virtual National Health Research Forum, Straight Talk: Securing a Science-Strong Future. For more than ten years, the National Health Research Forum has gathered top federal officials, leadership from across our broad membership, and distinguished national media to take an unvarnished look at issues that are vital to the wellbeing of our nation, our economy, and most importantly, patients.
This year, via a virtual platform, we will offer more networking and expert-Q&A opportunities and the chance to hear from numerous renowned speakers.
Straight Talk: Securing a Science-Strong Future will take a look at the impact of COVID-19 through a variety of lenses such as vaccine confidence, public health preparedness, health equity, R&D infrastructure, trust in science, and R&D outside COVID-19. Using these themes, the forum will offer various forms of interactive and on-demand content over the course of three partial days. Each day will include a keynote session or fireside chat featuring a high-level government official or key thought leader, one to two panel/roundtable discussions and various special features, and special invite-only sessions.
Moderated by high profile journalists and subject matter experts, the panels will encourage straight talk about the future of our nation’s research and health ecosystem to get the heart of, and truly move the conversation, around these complex issues.
Select speakers will include:
- The Honorable Diana DeGette (D-CO-1)
- The Honorable Nita M. Lowey, (D-NY-17)
- The Honorable Fred Upton, (R-MI-6)
- Francis S. Collins, MD, PhD, Director, National Institutes of Health
- Robert R. Redfield, MD, Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, HHS
- Gopal Khanna, Director, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- Norman E. Sharpless, MD, Director, National Cancer Institute
- Anthony S. Fauci, MD, Director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Janine Austin Clayton, MD, Director, Office of Research on Women’s Health, National Institutes of Health
- Peter Marks, MD, PhD, Director, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration
- Nakela Cook, MD, MPH, Executive Director, Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)
Session topics will include:
- Securing a Science-Strong Future
- Vaccine Development: Are We at a Turning Point?
- The Science of Vaccine Confidence
- Diversity and Inclusiveness: Walking our Talk
- Health Equity: Making Measurable Change Happen
- Advocacy in Action
- Champions for Progress
- Public Health Preparedness – Hard Lessons of COVID-19
- Will COVID-19 Impact the Speed of Patient Innovation in the Long-Term?
- Flash Talks Competition with Early Career Scientists
- Building a Science-Strong Nation: Turning Aspiration into Action