Public Health Thank You Day 2014: November 24
Did you get your flu shot this year? Donate blood or give your time to health services? You are part of keeping our communities healthy as well so thank you!
On the Monday before Thanksgiving, Research!America and leading public health organizations take time to recognize public health professionals who work tirelessly every day to protect us. From the ordinary to the extraordinary, these heroes keep our drinking water safe, air clean and children healthy. Read about the work some public health heroes are doing around the country.
"Professionals throughout the public health system work 24/7 to protect Americans from health threats," Tom Frieden, MD, MPH, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a statement to mark Public Health Thank You Day. "The recent federal shutdown was a stark reminder of how much we rely on these professionals day in and day out to detect outbreaks, respond to health emergencies, and promote health every day. Their dedication reflects their scientific ethic as well as their continuing commitment to serving the public."
We will update our Public Health Thank You Day materials later in 2014. The links below will give you an idea of the resources we have to celebrate Public Health Thank You Day — to be held November 24 this year.
Ways to Get Active
- Like our Public Health Thank You Day Facebook page!
- Connect with your state and local public health heroes
- Write to your policy makers
- Use our template to submit a letter to the editor of your local paper in support ofpublic health
- Use our template to issue a press release to your local media
- Place a Thank You Day ad on your website
- Place the Thank You Day banner on your website
- Place a Thank You Day ad in a local newspaper
- If you teach, use those templates in your classroom - let your students know that they can and should be advocates for public health research!
- Give an award to a public health hero in your community
- Present a public health hero with a thank you certificate (use our template or make your own)
- Send a thank you e-mail to your public health heroes using our thank you image
- Join our e-advocacy network.
Have another idea? Tell us how you will celebrate Public Health Thank You Day.
Research!America and the Campaign for Public Health Foundation, the American Public Health Association, the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, the American Association Public Health Dentistry, the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health, the Ohio State College of Public Health, the Society for Public Health Education, the University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health and the National Alliance for Hispanic Health ask Americans to give special thanks to their state and local "public health heroes" who protect the nation's health throughout the year.