Public Health Thank You Day
Public Health Thank You Day 2014: November 24
Did you get your flu shot this year? Donate blood or give your time to health services? You are part of keeping our communities healthy as well so thank you!
On the Monday before Thanksgiving, Research!America and leading public health organizations take time to recognize public health professionals who work tirelessly every day to protect us. From the ordinary to the extraordinary, these heroes keep our drinking water safe, air clean and children healthy. Read about the work some public health heroes are doing around the country.
"Every day, public health professionals here and around the world work in challenging and sometimes dangerous situations to protect our health. The Ebola epidemic in West Africa and cases of Ebola in the US are a reminder of the global nature of public health threats," said Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Thomas R. Frieden, MD, MPH. "Whether they are working to keep us safe from infectious disease threats, or finding ways to promote healthy opportunities, thanks to all the dedicated public health professionals who work to keep us safe and healthy."
Ways to Get Active
- Like our Public Health Thank You Day Facebook page!
- Connect with your state and local public health heroes
- Write to your policy makers
- Use our template to submit a letter to the editor of your local paper in support of public health
- Use our template to issue a press release to your local media
- Place a Thank You Day banner/icon on your website
- Learn more about professions contributing to public health
- If you teach, use those templates in your classroom - let your students know that they can and should be advocates for public health research!
- Give an award to a public health hero in your community
- Present a public health hero with a thank you certificate (use our template or make your own)
- Send a thank you e-mail to your public health heroes using our thank you image
- Join our e-advocacy network.
Have another idea? Tell us how you will celebrate Public Health Thank You Day.
Research!America's Public Health Thank You Day partners include the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, the American Public Health Association, the Society for Public Health Education, the University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health , Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, the American Cancer Society, the Association of Public Health Laboratories, the American Veterinary Medical Association,the Ohio State University, Susan G. Komen, the National Association of County and City Health Officials and the American Association of Public Health Dentistry.