COVID-19 and Pandemic Preparedness
The COVID-19 pandemic has revealed the profound significance of ongoing, robust investment in research and development. Research!America continues to be an outspoken advocate for the investment needed to fuel public and private-sector R&D aimed at stopping this and future pandemics in their tracks.
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center has met the challenge to keep its staff healthy and patients safe by maximizing their expertise and resources. Learn more about how they are taking research discoveries from the lab and putting them into action to help respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The University of Maryland (UMD) School of Medicine has developed a number of tools and resources in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more about how UMD is innovating to overcome challenges.
Expert scientific members of the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy (ASGCT) guided the creation of a public education unit on the mRNA vaccines. Learn about mRNA vaccines and how they work to defend against COVID-19 here.
Scripps Research has developed Outbreak.info. This website standardizes and aggregates COVID-19 and SARS-CoV-2 data for easy access. The interface aggregates journal articles, preprints, clinical trials, protocols, and other resources in one place, standardizing metadata and applying NLP to make these sources searchable and more accessible. The interactive data dashboards allow for quick comparison of countries, states, counties, and metro areas, and includes an API and R Package for researchers who want to access all of the raw data.
NIH has a new COVID-19 website. The website features news on the latest NIH research, funding opportunities, and information on how to join a clinical trial.
- Title-by-title summary of the $8.3 billion Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2020 (PDF)
- The House Oversight Committee hearings on coronavirus preparedness and response:
- ARHQ's COVID-19 Resources
- CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Summary
- CDC COVID-19 Social Media Toolkit
- Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of the Inspector General COVID-19 Portal
- NIH Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Situation Summary and Resources
- NCI: Coronavirus: What People with Cancer Should Know
- NSF Coronavirus Information Guidance and Rapid Research
- FDA Resources, including What’s New, FAQ’s, FDA’s Role, Medical Countermeasures, Health Fraud, and more
- FEMA Coronavirus Rumor Control
- CDC: Know the facts about coronavirus disease 2019
- BARDA 2019 nCoV Market Research
- BARDA is providing a portal for the U.S. government 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) medical countermeasures task force to provide a single point of entry for the submission of market research packages from interested stakeholders.
The Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), in coordination with NIH and Operation Warp Speed, has launched a central web portal called Combat COVID (https://combatcovid.hhs.gov/).
The portal is a one-stop resource to help members of the public and doctors find information about different stages of COVID-19 illness, NIH-supported COVID-19 prevention and treatment clinical trials, and locations to donate plasma. The website provides clear and easy-to-understand information for:
- People who have never had COVID-19 who may be interested in joining a vaccine or other prevention trial
- People who have COVID-19 and want to participate in a treatment clinical trial
- People who have recovered from COVID-19 who may be interested in donating plasma
- Doctors and other healthcare providers who want more information to guide their patients who have COVID-19
Visit combatCOVID.hhs.gov to learn more.
Universities and Research Institutions
- Coronavirus Information Portal • UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
- Emory University Rollins School of Public Health FAQs and Resources: COVID-19
- Johns Hopkins live-updated map of COVID-19 cases Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (digital library): COVID-19: School of Public Health Digital Library
- Harvard School of Public Health: The latest on the coronavirus | News | Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19): Key Facts and What It Means for People with Cancer
- Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University campus advisories and information: COVID-19
- Milken Institute COVID-19 Vaccine tracker
- University of California, San Francisco COVID-19 Response and Experts
- University of Maryland School of Public Health community guidance and information: Coronavirus Information
- Stanford University School of Medicine Coronavirus Information and Stanford University Evidence Service Report about PPE and Mask Safety
Nonprofits, Science Societies and Associations
- AdvaMed: Learn more about how medical device industry is responding to COVID.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (Science): Coronavirus
- American Public Health Association: COVID-19
- Association of Public Land-Grant Universities: Includes guidance, university research, and examples of university communications. University Responses to the Coronavirus
- American Thoracic Society Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19): The ATS Response (at bottom of page, see "other" for a listing of journal article collections relating to COVID-19 research)
- American Society for Clinical Oncology: Coronavirus 2019: What People With Cancer Need to Know
- American Society for Microbiology: Includes background information, updates, toolkits, resources, and more; COVID-19 Research Registry
- CDC Foundation: Responding to Coronavirus
- Federation of American Scientists: Coronavirus Project – Federation Of American Scientists
- FAS website on COVID-19 including their "ask a scientist" function. The website is now available in English and Spanish and will soon be Alexa/Amazon enabled.
- Federation of American Scientists: Resources with a focus on debunking misinformation
- Global Health Technologies Coalition COVID-19 R&D Tracker
- Infectious Disease Society of America: IDSA Home
- Amgen: COVID-19 Information Center
- BD: COVID-19 Point of Care Antigen Testing (video)
- Elsevier: Novel Coronavirus Information Center
- GSK: GSK actions to support the global response to COVID-19
- Lilly's Global COVID-19 Response
- Pfizer Outlines 5-Point Plan to Battle COVID-19
- JLABS Invisible Shield QuickFire Challenge